Friday, October 13, 2006

Quote of the Week


Peter Canavese of Groucho Reviews on "The Grudge:"

It's back to the showers, literally, with the tropes of modern Asian horror: short-skirted schoolgirls, fetal positions, static, and traumatic paralyzations. Whatever meaning you want to ascribe to Shimizu's recurrent images, like eyes peering through ripped paper, is as good as any other. If only they were scary or inventive, instead of more suddenly boring glimpses of the caterwauling boy and the goth chick with the thread-like hair. If Shimizu's aging idea of rage-made wraiths were true, caterwauling critics would be crawling all over the multiplex right about now.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

Funny - and true - stuff .. I like Ms. Tamblyn, but I just don't think I can bring myself to watch this one .. that damn Japanese kid just creeps me out way too much!